The Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen is pleased to announce that a PhD fellowship will be available from 1/9 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 1/6 2016.
Applications are invited for the three-year fellowship from applicants who hold or expect to hold a master´s degree in a field relevant to the following PhD project: Design and synthesis of selective 5-HT2A receptor agonists.
In our research we are trying to develop new tool compounds that can help uncover the mechanism of action of psychedelics (like psilocybin), that recently have been shown to have potential in the treatment of various mental illnesses like anxiety, substance use disorders and depression. Researchers are trying to understand the mechanism of action of psychedelics – how can we explain the therapeutic effects? One of the biggest hurdles in this endeavor is the unselective pharmacological profile of classic psychedelics like psilocybin, which is a non-selective Serotonin 2A receptor (5-HT2AR) agonist. Thus, the effect of selectively activating the 5-HT2AR remains to be investigated – as such a tool compounds have remained elusive until recently.
Deadline for Application : The application deadline is 1/6 2016.
Level of Studies : PhD Programme
Salary and other terms of employment are stated in the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
Scholarship Eligibility: The applicant must have:
- Obtained a Master´s degree in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry
- Documented experience with the synthesis of small molecules
- fluency in English and excellent communication skills
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at the Faculty are to:
- manage and carry through your research project
- take PhD courses
- write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- participate in national and international congresses and scientific meetings
- stay at an external research institution, preferably abroad
- teach and disseminate your research
- participate in the undergraduate teaching of students in pharmaceutical sciences
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Relevant work experience
- Previous publications
- The grade point average achieved
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- The successful applicant is also required to be enterprising and to possess good interpersonal skills
Applicants are requested to submit their application electronically below including (in word or pdf):
- Cover letter: Letter stating the interest in and qualifications for the project (max. one page)
- Full CV
- Diploma and transcripts of records: Master´s degree diploma (including grade transcripts for bachelor´s and master´s degrees). Applicants with a Master´s degree from abroad should also enclose a short description of the grading scale used
- Possible publication list
- Other information to consider: Possible references and recommendations
Source of Information : http://employment.ku.dk/all-vacancies/?show=821999