The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Programme (ADB-JSP) was established in April 1988 with financing from the Government of Japan.
The programme aims to provide an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to undertake postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asia-Pacific region. The University of Auckland is a participating academic institution.
Upon completion of their study programmes, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
Eligible applicants must be / have:
- A national of an ADB borrowing member (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB-JSP). For a list of current developing member countries visit ADB – Japan Scholarship Programme.
- Gained admission to an approved masters or doctoral programme at an approved academic institution.
- A bachelors degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two years of full-time professional work experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application.
- Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programmes which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years.
- In good health.
- Eligible applicants should agree to return to their home country after completion of studies under the programme.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Staff of JSP-designated institutions are not eligible to apply to their own institution.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programmes, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
Deadline for Application : Applications for 2017 close on 20 July 2016.
University of Auckland programmes covered by this scholarship scheme are limited to the following:
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science (Environmental Science)
- Master of Arts (Development Studies)
- Master of International Business
- Master of Commerce (International Business)
- Masters programmes in Engineering
The ADB-JSP provides for the scholars:
- Tuition fees at the University of Auckland.
- Airfare from the scholar’s home country to Auckland, New Zealand.
- Basic cost of living in Auckland.
- Health and medical insurance in New Zealand.
- Airfare from Auckland, New Zealand, to the scholar’s home country at the conclusion of his or her course of study.
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation.
- Please apply for admission online as an international applicant for one of the programmes listed above for the 2017 intake. Complete the Application for Admission .
- You are required to submit the following documents in support of your application:
- ADB-JSP information sheet
- Verified copy of your passport or birth certificate
- Academic transcript and completion certificate
- IELTS/TOEFL results
- A passport-size photo
- If you are successful in gaining admission to a postgraduate programme and receive an official Offer of Place from the University of Auckland, you may proceed to Step 4. If you are unsuccessful or receive a conditional offer do not proceed to Step 4 until you have fulfilled the condition/s of your offer.
- Complete the Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship application form and either post or courier with all required documents to the University.
- A selection process will take place after the application closing date. Incomplete ADP-JSP applications will be deemed ineligible.
- Please note: All applicants who have submitted complete applications for 2016 will be notified of the outcome by the end of November 2015.
Source of Information: https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/for/international-students/is-scholarships-loans-and-funding/is-asian-development-bank-japan-scholarship.html