The PhD Programme in sustainability science aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
The award of the scholarship below is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science programme can be considered as candidates for the scholarship. There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission. Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the PhD degree programme.
Level of Studies : PhD Degree Programme.
Scholarship Coverage :
The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
Scholarship Eligibility :
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes
- OR Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency
Application deadline: 28 April 2017
The PhD in Sustainability Science programme duration is three years; the programme starts in September. Students are required to obtain 14 credits and are expected to complete all degree requirements by July of their third year. Students must complete a PhD dissertation in one of several UNU-IAS research themes, focusing on global change and sustainability. Students are also encouraged to take a joint PhD diploma offered by UNU-IAS and the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (UT-GSFS) on Sustainability. For the joint diploma programme, students are required to take 18 credits, four of which should be from the courses offered by UT-GSFS.
Source of Information : https://ias.unu.edu/en/admissions/degrees/phd-in-sustainability-science-2017.html#scholarships